Sunday, December 9, 2007

What is LDS?

Most people know that "LDS" stands for "Latter-day Saints". But what I have heard frequently is the misuse of the name of the Mormon church. We are not "The Church of the Latter-day Saints," despite many media uses of that name. It is erroneous, with a key omission.

We are the Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints. Jesus Christ is at the head of this church. We perform all of our ordinances and rites, and say all of our prayers in the name of Jesus Christ. There is more to discuss with regard to the tired question of "Are Mormons Christian?" but that will come in another posting. For now, I thought a good start would be to set the name straight.

To quote the words from a cute little song that the Primary children sing:

I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
I know who I am, I know God's plan;
I'll follow Him in faith.
I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ;
I'll honor his name.
I'll do what is right, I'll follow His light;
His truth I will proclam!